Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Edge-ucators Way

After reading Tom Marsh's article "The Edge-ucators Way Why the Edge-ucators Way is Needed"( http://ozline.com/strategies/edge-ucators/ ) I looked at the pyramid of the approach he is talking about.... layer one look to learn. I clicked on it to see more what it is about and I can say that I do this with my student. Have a picture or Idea that you put up on your digital screen and then ask students questions to get them thinking about this picture. I have done this not only in my science classroom but also with my seminar group. We actually did this cool activity of pictures a photographer had taken a prom. They pictures really said some interesting things about the couples. We asked students to analyze and we talked about it. It was very cool and was neat to hear what the kids thought compared to what I was thinking about the picture. The second way Class Portals is really something I have been trying to work on this last year. Having begun work on my website having a place where students can share ideas and info and work with one another. I look forward to using more of these types of ideas this next year. Level 3 is well Web quest and today we worked on one. I have never done one with my students and after finding one today online that I could add to and tweak I am excited to see what the outcome is going to be. The top level is the self designed projects which I have been trying to some level of doing but really need to add more to. At the end of my earth science class I have the students pick a final project which can be on any earth science topic. Students often have trouble when I open the door to them and I am trying to work on developing the ways I can use more technology in their self design. I have students using diigo to bookmark sites so that they can share resources they find with one another. Why not help each other out? So I am trying to do things the edge-ucators way and I look forward to seeing where it is going to go.

1 Comments:

At July 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I love the idea of self chosen final projects, but I have struggled with how to accomplish this in my courses. interestingly, this is exactly what we are talking about here. You are clearly offering your students ways to learn about something that interests THEM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home